A fleet is a semi-autonomous group of ships that requires at least 1 officer to take charge. A fleet is also an extension of your command. With fleets, your forces can grow far beyond your original command allows. This is because, ships being assigned to the fleet, while technically under your indirect command; it no longer takes up your command points. This is instead, borne by the officer assigned as the fleet commander.
In Foresight, you can have as many as 5 Fleets.
Note: A sample of how a fleet panel looks like. A fleet panel can be expanded like above or minimized to show only the necessary details.
Explanation of statistics
Fleets vs Ship Groups
It is common for new players to mistaken the typical RTS feature of unit grouping as a fleet. In Foresight’s case, a ship group is NOT a fleet. Here’re a few reasons:
- Extension of power - Ship groups’ ships is directly under your command; which means they’ll take up your command points and eventually limits the number of ships you can have. Ships assigned to fleets takes up command points from their fleet commanders, not you; freeing you up to build even more ships.
- Movement in Formation - If different ships are mixed in a ship group; they move at their own speed. Which means faster ships will always fly ahead of slow ships. In fleets, ships near the fleet commander will always move in tandem, keeping the fleet’s engagement power close together.
- Command Radius Limitation - Ship groups are also limited by command radius; they cannot be controlled if they’re pushed too far out away from the player (YOU). On the other hand, fleets can be issued commands regardless of how far they are away from the player. However, orders given to a fleet are always as a fleet order, not a single ship order.
- Player Assistance - Fleets assist the player by offering suggestions on how to build up the fleet. Upon approval, the game automatically builds the ship from the nearest shipyard and deploys a ship to the fleet directly without the need for you as the player to intervene.
- Commander Artificial Intelligence - Every fleet has their own individual fleet AI. Commanders take care of themselves and will upgrade to better ships or evacuate from dying ships (if assessed to be safe). On top of that, Fleet Commanders micro-manages ships and fighters in fleet for you.
- Strategic Movement - Fleets can be given customized navigation routes by the player on the strategic orders panel, allowing you to flank attack or go around the enemy defences. Ship groups do not have that feature as they might be sent inadvertently out of the command radius and become uncontrollable at their destination. Fleets do not suffer from this limitation.
Creating a fleet
To learn more about creating a fleet, click [Creating a Fleet].